It seems that Adam Ferrier a bit of a legend on the Australian marketing scene has finally started a blog ,which is awesome because he is a nice and very interesting guy, with some interesting views. One of my favourites was his opinion on how cults and paedophiles are some of of the strongest communities due to how they communicate with each other. Although not politically correct, there is some value in his point.
I have also brought him up before around his views on empathy.
This is something he did for his masters thesis at university. What makes something or someone cool. He's his 5 key points
- Self Belief and Confidence: Have a strong internal locus of control and are not afraid to be themselves no matter the social situation.
- Defying Convention: Will be in careers that are born out of true passion (human rights, sciences, the arts) and will follow their passions - even if unconventional
- Understated Achievement: Successful but not overly showy. Further they regulate their outward expressiveness. They appear in control and not overly 'emotional'.
- Caring For Others: Broad-minded and sensitive
- Energy and Sociability: Get out there.
I just think its a really simple methodology and I have utilised it a couple of times and it makes complete sense. Its also a great way to convert a brand into something cool. If you think about the personality you want your brand to have. Delivering that across a number of the areas above starts to give you a great framework on how your brand will behave in the market in everything it does. It also makes it easy to sell to clients. Are we doing any of those. NO. Which ones can we address in the short term. These ones....Which ones can we address in the long term. Those ones...
Keep an eye out as he always has a very interesting point of view