Monday, April 27, 2009

Why cant it be a media evolution .... not a revolution



I am getting sick to death of everything being a 'revolution'. How many revolutions have there truly been.

A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time. Aristotle described two types of political revolution:

  1. Complete change from one constitution to another
  2. Modification of an existing constitution.[1]

Revolutions have occurred through human history and vary widely in terms of methods, duration, and motivating ideology. Their results include major changes in culture, economy, and socio-political institutions.

source: Wikipedia


Was Cinema a revolution. Was TV a revolution when it started to hit the mainstream. I think all these things are an evolution of what we currently knew but we progressed it to the next level. Newspapers didnt disappear after TV was launched. Will they now. I think there is a number of years in newspapers yet. They will take a completely different role in peoples lives. But I think the key will be to educate the younger generation on the role of long form content. The importance of it and using it to help them structure their own thoughts. (as you can tell I am slipping majorly myself)

But I read Gareth's view of the Social Media Revolution. I agree that the channels in this context will forever change and (although I work in media) it truly is about creating social ideas. I wrote something on this previously on one of our clients Bacardi. It was more about, who cares what social media you use. If the content is crap or you give them something thats not worth sharing. Then its not truly social.

I also believe that combination of media usage will drive 'social ideas' . You can run some traditional media and then create platforms and ideas to drive the conversation. I love Amelia's Comparethemeerkat activity at the moment. We were laughing at the latest stage in my office the other day. Lets be honest, its a boring category. But they have made it fun and worth talking about. Its a social idea..

So stop worrying about the channel... and start worrying about how the idea would be worth deeming 'social'

No comments: